Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report Birth Abroad

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record is in the form of a "Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America". This document, referred to as the Consular Report of Birth or FS-240, is considered a basic United States citizenship document. An original FS-240 is furnished to the parent(s) at the time the registration is approved.

For more information on reporting birth abroad:

Fees for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad:   $ 100