Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Messages for U.S. Citizens

Message for U.S. Citizens - Voting Week Town Hall Meeting

October 1, 2012

One of our most treasured values as U.S. citizens is the right and the privilege to vote - to participate actively in our country's democratic process. This November, we will elect a President, a Vice President, one-third of the Senate, and the entire House of Representatives. The U.S. Embassy in Bujumbura encourages all U.S. citizens to participate in this year's elections, and stands ready to help you do so from overseas.

On October 4, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., we invite you to the residence of the Chargé d'Affaires a.i. (Avenue du Juillet, No. 6), to cast your ballot with others from the community of U.S. Citizens living in Burundi. For overseas voters, this event is the equivalent of Election Day in the United States. We also hope that this event will be an opportunity for us to better get to know the Americans in our community.

If you have not already received your absentee ballot by mail or e-mail, we can assist you by providing a write-in ballot the evening of the event. If you have already received your ballot from your voting district, simply fill it out and submit it to us that evening for postage-paid mailing. Although U.S. Citizens state-size won't vote for another month, it's essential that you cast your absentee ballot early, to allow sufficient time for it to travel by mail in time for the absentee ballot deadline (variable, by state).

Forgot to register or request an absentee ballot? Act immediately! There are three options.

  • Option #1: Register and request a ballot today using the federal post card application at www.FVAP.gov . Select the electronic ballot delivery option, include your email address (and fax number) and send it to local election officials in your state. Almost every state lets you submit it by email or fax. Once your application is processed they will send you your ballot via fax or email depending on your state. Vote as soon as you receive the blank ballot. Registration deadlines vary and some are as early as October 7, so check your state's requirements carefully.
  • Option#2: Follow the instructions in Option #1, but also complete and send in a Federal Write-in Ballot at the same time to make sure your vote is counted. This option may be the best one for first-time voters if your state requires you to submit your Federal Post Card Application by mail. Vote and submit your regular absentee ballot if/when it arrives. Local election officials will count just one ballot per voter, and will use the regular ballot if it's received by the ballot receipt deadline.
  • Option #3: Voters from the following states can use the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot as a combined voter registration form, absentee ballot request, and absentee ballot: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington. (NOTE: This form must reach your local election officials by your state's absentee ballot request deadline or voter registration deadline, whichever is first.)

Participants in the Voting Week Town Hall Meeting must show a U.S. passport to enter. Attendees will be subject to a security screening and cannot enter the premises with sealed envelopes; thus, please plan to seal your voting envelopes once inside the event itself. Please RSVP, by COB October 3, via email at bujumburac@state.gov or by telephone to the consular section at 22-20-7225.