The Office of Public Affairs promotes mutual understanding between the people of the United States of America and the Republic of Burundi. It addresses the national interests of the U.S. Government and the strategic goals of the U.S. Embassy in Burundi by directly engaging and informing the Burundian public through the use of cultural, educational, and informational programs, as well as citizen exchanges and broadcasts.
Public Affairs primarily works in five areas:
- Media relations, analysis, and development
- Promotion of English as a means of improving regional integration
- Educational and professional exchange programs
- Women’s social and economic empowerment
- Cultural programs
The office operates four American Spaces in Burundi which
offer more than 7,000 books on a broad range of subjects in French and English,
weekly film screenings, discussion tables, internet access, education advising
services, English learning resources, and informational programming. These facilities are located at:
- Information Resource Center at the U.S. Embassy in Kigobe, Bujumbura
- Rosa Parks American Corner, University of Burundi Kamenge Campus in Bujumbura
- American Corner Kinindo in Bujumbura
- Martin Luther King, Jr. American Corner at the Centre Culturel in Gitega
If you have questions regarding available resources or programs, please call the U.S. Embassy Bujumbura at 2220-7000, or email BujumburaPAS@state.gov.